2/26/2009

Not Exactly Disney World

The two walked dazedly around the husk of the limousine, taking small, unsure steps as if not knowing what to do next. The cans that hung tangled in the branches clinked together softly as a slight breeze whispered by.

"The driver just texted," Chris said, shifting his weight from polished shoe to polished shoe. "He'll be back in about an hour with help."

Kathy sighed. "Well, this wasn't exactly the honeymoon we had planned."

"No." He squinted as the gold blob to the west melded with the horizon. "But you can't really account for panhandle weather."

They stood for a while, she clutching her flowers and he with his hands in his jacket pockets. His foot accidentally brushed up against the fallen tree, rattling the twigs. It wasn't supposed to be like this, he thought. Her family paid the dowry, half of which went to the wedding and half of which went to the trip immediately after. Now only half went to use.

Suddenly he looked up and walked over to Kathy, wrapping his arms around her shoulders from behind and rocking back and forth. His right hand went up to wipe her tears away. He felt her mouth move, but he couldn't tell if it was a smile or a grimace.

"Kathy," he murmured in her ear, "Florida sure is beautiful, isn't it?"

It was a smile.

"Yes," she said. Her nose was stuffy.

They sat down slowly, still rocking, tailored fabrics scratching on the concrete. In all of a minute, the humid air finally broke and rain dived down, scattering on the pavement like so many pennies. They smiled together, and then laughed at the absurdity of the situation, and continued rocking.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Commentary: I haven't written in a long time, and I knew I needed to get back into it. I Stumbled just once and found this picture, which I thought looked pretty writable.

1 comment:

ElshaHawk said...

Now if I'm going to link to your blog from mine you HAVE to write more often that ONCE A YEAR!!
:P
Great scene in your story! I'm rusty too. You can read my latest on Protag, there's a link in my blog entry.
Oh, and read my second blog on my Nano novel "What I Learned In Tuvalu" and vote on my butler's name!